Anticipation is a key stage in happiness; by having something to look forward to, no matter what your circumstances, you bring happiness into your life well before the event actually takes place.
My family says I am always looking ahead to the next big thing, and they’re right! I’m always excited about some new adventure or new project. I’m constantly anticipating the next big thing! There’s always something new on the horizon. The problem is that sometimes it isn’t something good. Unfortunately, I sometimes dread negative things as much as I happily anticipate the good things.
Enter back to school. Boo.
I’ve been dreading back to school. I don’t want summer to end! I don’t want to go back to early wake-ups and schedules and homework! But … we have to go back … so today I am re-framing my thinking (another thing I learned from Rubin’s “The Happiness Project”). I am using my powers of anticipation to make myself happy about back to school. I can often name a dozen good things I am anticipating, but I think if I can come up with FIVE good things about something I’m dreading, it will help me feel better about it, right?
Who knows? But it’s worth a try! So here goes!
5 Things I Like About Back to School
- I decided yesterday to ENJOY back to school shopping with my kids. I took them one at a time, set a budget, and laid down the rules right from the get go. (Choose items that work with pieces you already have. Use your words to express what you want. Try on everything, and (most importantly) I have final VETO, period.) It worked! Two kids got shopping trips, and we had a great time!
- I love First Day of School snapshots! Lots of my Facebook friends have already posted theirs, and I am excited to add mine to the mix. I love how kids smile on that first day. They pretend to be dreading it, but you know they are all excited!
- Just a week or so after the first day is Aubrey’s first swim meet of the season! Swim meets are so excited, and I always just swell up with pride for my girl! I love watching my former-nearly afraid of the water kid rockin’ it in the pool!
- Alli will be in pre-school 3 days a week for 3 hours each day … enough said. 😉
- School is only Monday – Friday. We can STILL have fun summer-esque adventures of the weekends!
Who couldn’t be excited about all that awesome-ness! So today I am decided to focus on these 5 Things and be excited about back to school!
And perhaps I can use my newfound re-framing skills on enjoying and anticipating Fall …
So do you enjoy back to school or do lament the end of summer?