Airing My Dirty Laundry is one of my most favorite blogs, and the fact that she is a military spouse, too, is just the icing on the cake! I always enjoy her weekly series, “Hey, It’s Okay Tuesday!” and have enjoyed linking up for a while now. My “It’s Okay’s” tend to be Navy-related. If you’d like to read more of them, just search “It’s Okay” in the form to the left.
FRG’s (Family Readiness Groups) oftentimes get a really bad rap. Sometimes it is deserved; more often it is not. I love my FRG. I mean, I really love those ladies! So I may be biased but …
- It’s okay (not to mention a great idea!) to give your FRG at least one shot. Go to a meeting and make up your own mind about them instead of listening to the hearsay.
- It’s okay not to like everyone there. No one likes everyone. Just try to give every person a fair shot.
- It’s okay to jump right in! Offer a suggestion! Join a committee! Make a donation! I speak from experience when I say we LOVE new faces and new helpers!
- It’s okay to NOT jump right in, too! 🙂 I’m a joiner and need to be in the thick of things, but I know that some people just need to warm up to a group first, and that’s okay!
- It’s okay to bring a friend from the command. Most people don’t want to walk into a room full of strangers alone so if you’ve met and get along with another spouse from the command, bring her! Having even one familiar face can make it much easier!
- It’s okay to ask for a familiar face! If you haven’t met anyone at the command yet, the FRG is a great place to start. If you don’t want to walk in alone, call or message your Ombudsman or one of your FRG board members. We all remember what it’s like being the new kid in town, and we would love to meet up beforehand or just meet you outside the building and walk in with you.
- It’s also okay to join in at OTHER events first. You don’t have to start at a meeting. If you’re a coffee fanatic (hello, my new BFF!), and you hear that the FRG is having a coffee meet-up, go there and meet them. Smaller settings can also make things less intimidating!
- It’s okay … and this is a biggie … it’s okay to love your FRG. There is some stigma to being part of an FRG. There are old misconceptions (and new ones). There are biases and bad experiences. There ARE not-so-great FRG’s out there. However … there are even more amazing FRG’s that are working hard every day to make meetings fun and informational, to provide lots of activities that appeal to a wide variety of people, and to be as welcoming and lovely to new faces as possible.
All we ask is that you give us a fair shot and make your own decision about how awesome we are! We are all LITERALLY in the same boat, and a good FRG just wants to give you or help you find the support you need to make it through. And when you find that support, we’d love if you could share it with others. That’s how the great FRG’s are made!
One more thing … it’s MORE than okay to click over and enjoy Airing My Dirty Laundry. 🙂