Airing My Dirty Laundry is one of my most favorite blogs, and the fact that she is a military spouse, too, is just the icing on the cake! I always enjoy her weekly series, “Hey, It’s Okay Tuesday!” and have wanted to link up for a while now but couldn’t figure out a “Back on Land” kind of spin on things. I guess we’ll see how this goes …
- It’s okay to spend an entire weekend in pajamas with your kids, eating junk food, and watching cartoons and Disney movies when he leaves.
- It’s okay to sleep with his picture or his letters, spray his cologne on your pillow, or keep the last t-shirt he wore for snuggling as long as you want. (When the t-shirt starts to smell more like you than him, it’s okay to give it a quick spray of the aforementioned cologne, too.)
- It’s okay to revel in the fact that you have complete control over the television and watch Dance Moms, Real Housewives, and Hoarders to excess.
- It’s okay to have a bad day and be mad (at him, at the Navy, at the mailman, at whoever) that he’s not here. Just remember that it’s not really his fault (or the Navy’s, the mailman’s, or anyone else) and that it’s not okay to email-blast him for things, like a boat schedule, that he can’t control or to take it out on others. 🙂
- It’s okay to get ridiculously excited in the Commissary when you realize he will be home before the milk expires or when you know he will be home to take out the trash next time.
- It’s okay to leave all his bathroom stuff out exactly as he left it … or the put it all away right away. Sometimes mornings are tough, and it’s okay to do whatever makes it easier.
- It’s okay that one time I didn’t clean the bathroom mirror for much longer than I like to admit because on his last day he wrote “I love you!” in dry erase marker before he left.
- It’s okay to say to other military spouses “Does anybody else … (insert whatever you do here)?” The answer is a resounding yes! We do all do weird things to get us through, and sometimes it’s reassuring just to know you’re not alone!
- It’s okay to refresh your email a hundred times a day.
- It’s okay! Everything is okay, or at least it will be okay. It may not seem like it some days, but it is and will be. This too shall pass, you will make it through, and you will be stronger for having made it!!!
(P.S. It’s also okay to want to punch me in the face right now for #10. Sometimes you just need someone to bitch to/at, and you don’t want to hear “it’s okay.” I’ve been there … recently … and that, too, is really okay!)
One more thing … it’s MORE than okay to click over and enjoy Airing My Dirty Laundry. 🙂 She’s a hoot!